Newport, RI 02840
A 19th-century Gothic Revival “summer cottage”, Anglesea is located on Newport’s Cliff Walk, opposite The Breakers. The home was originally constructed in 1880 for Walter Lewis of Philadelphia, from a design by Detlef Lienau, and was one of the earliest examples of the French influence in Newport.
The European-educated Lienau was one of America’s leading architects. He bought the French Second Empire style design to the U.S. on New York’s Fifth Avenue and introduced the mansard roof typified by the French chateau. He was cofounder of the American Institute of Architects. Anglesea is one of only 22 residences designed by Lienau.
Stonemasons and woodworkers from Italy, along with American craftsmen, built Anglesea, which was designed to afford views of the sea from every angle. The home was expanded in 1896 by the Person family, which earned its fortune in the sarsaparilla business.
Alfred Carpionato expanded and renovated Anglesea from 1996-2003, with the assistance of internationally renowned architect Friedrich St. Florian. The renovation combined Mr. Carpionato’s meticulous attention to detail with imaginative nuances, resulting in a home that reflects his personality, while honoring the spirit of the original Anglesea.
Anglesea is used as a residence for the Carpionato Family and company related events. It is not available to the public.