Location: Chapel Grille, 3000 Chapel View Blvd, Cranston, RI 02920
Reports to: General Manager and Assistant General Manager
Hosts/reservationists are responsible for providing guests with a positive dining experience through informative phone and desk presence, excellent product knowledge, strong salesmanship skills, attention to detail, professional appearance and a positive attitude. The Host/Reservationist will be required to interact with ALL guests and assist in their service with responsibility for accurate information and the processing of guests requests.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Use OPEN TABLE to facilitate maximum “seatings” and reservations while adhering to capacity limits per time slot so as not to overwhelm the kitchen.
- Communicate efficiently via telephone or in person to each potential guest.
- Explain and market all menu items with superb product knowledge and sincerity.
- Be informed of all pertinent restaurant events, promotions, directives, and menu changes.
- Transfer all requests for Private Events or special requests to the appropriate party.
- Use phone system to transfer, hold, etc.
- Process all cash, credit card and gift certificate transactions in an efficient and accurate manner.
- Practice efficient and timely “cash out” and change transactions.
- Assist in coat checking when needed.
- Setup, breakdown & cleaning of all applicable areas.
- Stocking applicable supplies.
- Practice proper and safe food handling, personal hygiene, storage, receiving, stocking and rotating procedures.
- Communicate all guest allergies and/or aversions to management and kitchen.
- Develop and maintain positive & lasting guest relationships.
- Must be able to read, understand and communicate in English.
- Able to interact verbally in a professional manner with guests and other BOH/FOH positions.
- Meets all Chapel Grille & Health Department standards for safe food handling and storage.
- Must have experience & knowledge of equipment, including but not limited to: Telephone Systems, Audio Visual Equipment, POS systems, Open Table.com.
- Flexible in performing other related tasks designated from the management.
- Speed, efficiency and mental strength are required for this fast paced restaurant.
Physical demands and work environment
- Works closely with other staff members, often in confined areas.
- Communicates verbally with guests.
- Lifts and carries sacks, boxes and product up to 25 lbs. from floor to above waist level, sometimes involving stairs.
- Stands or walks during the entire 6-8 hour shift.
- Hazards include, but are not limited to, cuts, burns, slips, trips and falls.
- Able to reach above head and stoop to put items on the floor or low shelves.
- Able to climb stairs and ladders.
- Able to work at approx. 36” counter/table and reach in approx. 36”.
- Must reach (6’ to overhead), bend, stoop and wipe.
Standards of Performance
- Performs job at a continuously high pace, under pressure, while maintaining quality and efficiency standards.
- Handles guest inquiries with professionalism and attention to detail, maintaining a calm presence in stressful situations.
- Refers challenging situations to Management promptly.
- Takes accurate phone messages and transfers to the appropriate party timely.
- Explains and markets all menu items with superb product knowledge and sincerity.
- Ensures all allergies, guest requests, and special events are noted clearly on the reservation and communicates this information to the servers and managers.
- Enters all “To Go” orders accurately and timely into the POS system.
- Processes all cash, credit card and gift certificate transactions in an efficient and accurate manner.
- Prepares reception area with sufficient quantity of product and any tools and equipment needed prior to each service (“mise en place”).
- Maintains cleanliness and order of host desk and side work areas.
- Practices proper and safe food handling, storage, receiving, stocking and rotating procedures.
- Notifies Manager when replenishment is needed of product or equipment necessary in the daily operation of the restaurant with enough lead time to avoid stockouts.