Location: Chapel Grille, 3000 Chapel View Blvd, Cranston, RI 02920
Reports to: Assistant General Manager
A Barback’s primary responsibility is to support Bartenders by assisting them in prepping the bar and providing restock on all applicable items. The Barback is not permitted to serve alcoholic beverages.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Setup, breakdown and cleaning of all applicable areas.
- Stocking glassware and applicable supplies.
- Guest interaction on all non-alcoholic related duties.
- Practice proper and safe food handling, personal hygiene, storage, receiving, stocking and rotating procedures.
- Develop and maintain positive and lasting guest relationships.
- Must be able to read, understand and communicate in English.
- Able to interact verbally in a professional manner with guests and other BOH/FOH positions.
- Meets all Chapel Grille & Health Department standards for safe food handling and storage.
- Must have experience & knowledge of equipment, including but not limited to: Knives, Draught Beer Systems, Ice Machines and Glass Washers, and Coolers.
- Flexible in performing other related tasks designated from the management.
- Speed, efficiency and mental strength are required for this fast paced restaurant.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Works closely with other staff members, often in confined areas.
- Lifts and carries food trays, boxes and product up to 50 lbs. from floor to above waist level, occasionally involving stairs.
- Stands or walks during the entire 8-10 hour shift.
- Hazards include, but are not limited to, cuts, burns, slips, trips and falls.
- Able to reach above head and stoop to put items on the floor or low shelves.
- Able to climb stairs and ladders.
- Able to work at approx. 36” counter/table and reach in approx. 36”.
- Must reach (6’ to overhead), bend, stoop and wipe.
- Must wear non-slip shoes.
Standards of Performance
- Performs job at a continuously high pace, under pressure, while maintaining quality and efficiency standards.
- Prepares bar with sufficient quantity of glasses, supplies, product, garnishes, and any tools and equipment needed prior to each service (“mise en place”).
- Restocks bar timely throughout shift as needed, anticipating needs when possible.
- Retrieves bottles of wine from wine storage accurately and timely, identifying correct winemaker and vintage as applicable.
- Handles guest requests with professionalism and attention to detail, directing concerns or issues to the bartender or manager when necessary.
- Refers challenging situations to Management promptly.
- Maintains cleanliness and order of bar area and side work areas.
- Practices proper and safe food handling, storage, receiving, stocking and rotating procedures.
- Notifies Manager when replenishment is needed of product or equipment necessary in the daily operation of the restaurant with enough lead time to avoid stockouts.